@nprscottsimon oven temp too high? Try submitting to foodpickle and see what others think.

asked by @savorykitchen almost 8 years ago

Savorykitchen

Scott Simon tweeted this: Valentine meringues go into oven a vibrant pink, come out ugh brown. Any idea why before we make another batch? Thought I'd help out by tweeting it to y'all.

puresugar

Lower temp might help--what temp are you using, and do you have an oven thermometer? One recipe I have read (but not tried) has the oven preheated to 350°F, then shut off, with the meringues inside the closed oven for 2+ hours, for crisp meringues.
Here's a link to recipe:
http://foodnetwork.mobi/quickPage.html?page=24236&cc=recipeDetails.html%3Frid%3D26102%26tn%3D%26p%3Ds%26s%3D0%26kw%3DPink%2Bpigs%26rs%3D

I'm gonna guess too high oven temp also. Here's Heena's winning meringue stack and it bakes at a low temp and then oven is turned off, like puresugar says.

I make meringues all the time. My friends call them white cookies. You put the meringues in a preheated 350 oven and turn the oven off. The residual heat dries the meringues without browning them.