🔕 🔔

@nprscottsimon oven temp too high? Try submitting to foodpickle and see what others think.

asked by @savorykitchen over 6 years ago

2fc558a8 bd7d 4d57 9ed4 e14a7fcea429  fb avatar

Scott Simon tweeted this: Valentine meringues go into oven a vibrant pink, come out ugh brown. Any idea why before we make another batch? Thought I'd help out by tweeting it to y'all.

Cfdd183b f2d3 436f abf5 4a8285003ba1  monica

Lower temp might help--what temp are you using, and do you have an oven thermometer? One recipe I have read (but not tried) has the oven preheated to 350°F, then shut off, with the meringues inside the closed oven for 2+ hours, for crisp meringues.
Here's a link to recipe:
http://foodnetwork.mobi...

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I'm gonna guess too high oven temp also. Here's Heena's winning meringue stack and it bakes at a low temp and then oven is turned off, like puresugar says.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I make meringues all the time. My friends call them white cookies. You put the meringues in a preheated 350 oven and turn the oven off. The residual heat dries the meringues without browning them.