🔕 🔔

hi. I have live oysters to bring home from work (fridge to fridge). They were caught yesterday. Will they be safe to eat?

asked by @BONuallain 12 months ago

012d983c ea5a 4b9f a942 a8f5dfcef8d7  ljh6675 web

Lindsay-Jean is a Community Editor at Food52.

This past thread on the topic has some tips for you: https://food52.com/hotline...

If oysters are safe to eat, they should be tightly closed or they should close tightly when you tap them. And then they should be open - and not just a crack - after you've steamed them, if you do. I wouldn't serve them raw unless you know when they were caught. And for future reference, if you're going to refrigerate them, I would put the container over (not in) ice water in the fridge. Or over damp seaweed.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Be sure not to close the container - the oysters need to 'breathe'.