Fried morels - what might be a side?

Outdoor family gathering tonight. Fried morels is the main dish. What might be a good side? I'm an experienced vegetarian cook.

asked by Carol Mathias about 1 year ago

Stephanie B.

Fried morels as the main dish? Your family gathering sounds amazing. I usually like to keep morels center stage, and use fresh, simple flavors around them. But depending on how big this gathering is, morels as a main might not stretch very far. How about shaved asparagus salad with some peppery lentils to give it more heft, in a simple lemon and/or vinaigrette dressing? You could mix it with other greens, shave in some good parmesan, or use toasted nuts instead of lentils. Hmm...that's a lot of options for one potential salad, not sure that's helpful. But it's what I've got on the fly.

MMH
MMH

Rissotto

Carol Mathias

Thank you so much, Stephanie, MMH and Dinner at 10. I took both of your advice and made the NYT roasted asparagus salad with farro.

It was perfect with the morels. Usually the family likes their greens, but rarely do I bring home an absolutely empty serving dish.

Thank you all for the inspiration.

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

Also in the hearty salad vein, a fattoush could be really good. The cookbook Soframiz has a good recipe, which I also found here (http://foodschmooze.org...). I am lucky enough to eat semi-regularly at the wonderful restaurants the chefs run, and they switch out the components in the salad seasonally. Some thinly sliced strawberries and cucumber would be an ideal spring swap for the apple.

Carol Mathias

Thank you so much, Stephanie and Dinner at 10. I took both of your advice and made the NYT roasted asparagus salad with farro.

Thank you both for the inspiration.

Probably too late for this dinner, but if you have more mushrooms around consider one of these spring green veg:
Little fresh peas cooked in butter on lettuce and a litte bit of onion (see Larousse, MFK Fisher & others for recipe)
Fiddleheads
Artichokes...stuffed, breaded, fried, poached, etc
Fennel...cut in wedges, grilled, served with a crumbly or stinky cheese.

Carol Mathias

Thank you both for the inspiration.