🔕 🔔

Fresh cilantro stored in fridge

I had some fresh cilantro stored in a plastic bag on a paper towel in the fridge and it has been there for a week and a half. I just pulled it out for a recipe and noticed some of it had slime and black on it, so I pulled that off, washed and only used the green fresh looking parts for the recipe, but when I went to put the bag away, I noticed there was a lot of slime and black leaves in the rest of the bag to the extent I just threw it out. I already added it to the recipe. Is it safe to eat the food I used it in?

asked by Cad976 about 1 month ago
A43dee65 01b1 40a6 994d 068c78eb3eee  9f7dd561 a480 4e1b 8c8f d5da7ab5167c
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

added about 1 month ago

Yes. The type of bacteria that causes cilantro to rot is very, very unlikely to be harmful. If you cooked it you're extra safe. If not, I would still not worry, but your finished dish might not keep very well since the cilantro might still rot within it.

3299dd0b a953 46f5 8a98 a0241f3b893a  256
MMH
added about 1 month ago

I agree. But remember there is more flavor in the stems so even if the leaves are unpleasant, you can purée the stems in their place in a sauce or marinade.

added about 1 month ago

Also for futures...soft leafy herbs last 10 days-2 wkvin fridge if stored upright like flowers in water, with a plartic bag draped over the top of the container (& left loosely oen).