safely making bone broth

Hello.
I simmer/boiled a beef bone broth for about 9 hours.
I didn't have a top and every couple hours I added some water to keep the pot full.
When I added the room temp water it would stop simmering for a little while.
Was this up and down in temp growing harmful bacteria?
It would heat up again pretty quickly. I had it set between 5 and 8 on my burner the whole time.

Also I let it cool for an hour but am paranoid about what is the exact right time so it doesn't go bad sitting out and then also doesn't heat up the inside of my fridge being put away too soon.

I looked for all this on google but all it said it was, don't do it, basically. Didn't really give time frame guidelines.
The standard 2-4 hours should be safe, right?
But I found a few articles that said cool it as fast as possible with ice cubes and things, then don't put it away too hot. I'm pretty paranoid and this is troubling me.
If I feel unsure I will throw it all out. It wouldn't be the first time. But I hate to do it.

Thanks!

asked by Sarah 12 months ago

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I'm pretty liberal with these kinds of things...but its more of a personal choice. How concerned are you with it personally? I wouldn't think twice about using it.

Liz D

I don't think the up-and-down issue when adding new water to the pot would be a problem, I don't think it would be in the danger zone for long. You could turn the heat up when you add water, then back down to a simmer to minimize that time.
I've never had an issue with leaving stock on the counter for an hour or so, then putting it in the fridge (uncovered, to let heat escape). But if it concerns you, put the pot in a sink full of ice water (add ice as necessary) and stir now & then to cool as fast as possible, then refrigerate. You'll feel better, and the food won't go to waste.

Sarah

Thank you! This sounds reasonable.