Cornbread tastes like baking soda. Anything I can do to save it?

The recipe called for 2 cups cornmeal, 1 cup flour, along with 1 tsp baking soda and 2 TBS baking powder, and a few other things... the cornbread is just awful. My mouth is frothy and tingly and it tastes like baking soda bread. Should I just chuck it in the bin? I made it into muffins and the they weren't cooked in the middle, either. 450F for 25 mins, was brown on the outside, raw in the middle. I've never had these problems with my usual cornbread recipe. This new recipe was supposed to be "texas" cornbread. Is there anything I can do to get the middles cooked or curb the baking soda flavor? It's seems inedible at this point.

1 Comment

foofaraw
foofaraw June 17, 2017

Unfortunately , as far as I know, the answer is no. For underbaking problem, I sometime can save it if it is just <5 min out of the oven (still a bit cooking) and put it back to the oven, but not for something that is already cooled down. Taste-wise, I also would not think it is salvagable.
For next time, maybe 1 T baking powder? The aluminum free baking powder gives a much cleaner taste (no weird aftertaste for me) vs the regular one.

Nancy June 17, 2017

Agree with foofaraw - nothing to do for this batch.
Maybe go back to your usual cornbread recipe.
Or, if you were not satisfied with it and that's why you were looking around, try this one from Jessica Strand (in Bon Appetit 2007)...it is my standard and I've made it so often I can't count. Has no baking soda (just baking powder) and turns out wonderfully, as cornbread or muffins.
http://www.epicurious.com...