.

I have a recipe that calls for scotch peppers. Can anyone recommend a less spicy substitute? Thanks!

asked by Kristen over 1 year ago

foofaraw

What is the recipe? We need more info to be able to give you fitting substitute.

Kristen

I would like to make Jamaican beef patties. All the recipes mention scotch bonnet peppers. I want to reduce the heat, but keep the same sweet fruity flavor of the pepper. Thanks!

Look up the Scoville scale (wikipedia, ref books) which groups peppers by heat units.
Scotch is in 3rd hottest.
Glance down and see which next group has peppers you know you can tolerate/find in your area and use one of those.
Dish will not be as hot, but yes tasty & edible for you.

Kristen

Thank you! I'd don't know the Scoville scale existed.