🔕 🔔

I went out to the guest house and found I had forgotten about 20 bottles of beer in the refrigerator, all leftover from a fund raising party last year. It has got to be really stale. It wasn't even great beer to begin with. Any ideas what I can do with so much stale beer besides recycle the bottles?

asked by Eliana60 almost 7 years ago

40679432 73ff 4750 a825 013d50b38006  onionavatar
Michael Hoffman

Food52 Alum

You can make vinegar! The Ideas in Food book has detailed instructions. Here are some of their blog posts about it:

http://blog.ideasinfood...

http://blog.ideasinfood...

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

kayb's http://www.food52.com/recipes... or see above
Beer Bread (see above)
Beer and Bisquick batter for fish, zucchini and jalapeno poppers
Save it for St. Patrick's Day and dye it green.

2269774e 64e7 47ec 8fb3 d6fb03cce199  debbykalk photo

They might be just fine - pop one open to see if it's flat.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

If it's not flat. And it really shouldn't be if it's been in the fridge. Use it for tempura batter.
If it is flat (unlikely) Save it for summer or St. Pat's day. to boil and steam cabbage and corn beef. Then for boiled hot dogs or sausages in the summertime or additions to chili, or stews.

Fc23ea4b 9ae1 494e 8a6f ba43f6488062  me by barbara tyroler

Shrimp (in the shell) boiled in beer is delicious.

6f614b0c 899e 467f b032 d68711f70a39  2011 03 07 18 28 41 870

If it's not good beer to begin with, I say pitch it. I have the same rule for cooking with beer as with cooking with wine. If you wouldn't drink it, don't cook with it. Just because it isn't flat doesn't mean that it is drinkable.