A question about a recipe: Okonomiyaki

C8141b5b 2e34 42fc 8cdd 09273b032dbb  2016 1102 okonomiyaki james ransom 219

I have a question about the recipe "Okonomiyaki" from Midge. Do you think they will freeze? I made these for friends a few weeks ago and they were a hit ( reheated fine). The couple is in their 80's and the wife/cook is laid up for a few weeks. I thought I would make a batch ot these for them, which would probably last them several meals. I will deliver them fresh but can I suggest they can freeze some for a later meal?

asked by caninechef 12 months ago

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

Yes, I think they will freeze very well. I've had excellent results freezing and then reheating (in my toaster oven) all kinds of pancakes and vegetable fritters.

Glad to know that. I know pancakes freeze very well, but I might have feared the veggies in the Okonomiyaki would get soggy.

In Japan, part of the pleasure of okonomiyaki is that it is freshly made right at your table. Frozen and reheated okonomiyaki would seem tired in comparison. But it might be good (or good enough!) anyway. If you give it a try, I hope you'll report back.

caninechef

It is hard to beat freshly made but not possible in this situation. I made them once for lunch with this couple and reheated. I did not notice much difference. On the subject of soggy vegetables, when I made them specifically to be reheated I sautéed the cabbage as I thought it would reduce moisture and make them hold better for reheating. I don't know if it made a difference but I think I will continue with that practice. Thanks "dinner at ten" for sharing your experience.