If you were making Okonomiyaki for dinner, what would serve with them? Thank you. ;o)

I have a question about the recipe "Okonomiyaki" from Midge.

C8141b5b 2e34 42fc 8cdd 09273b032dbb  2016 1102 okonomiyaki james ransom 219
Recipe question for: Okonomiyaki

Midge
Midge June 21, 2011

How about a green salad with ginger-miso dressing?

ChefJune June 21, 2011

That's a tricky one, Antonia. Those little pancakes sound like a meal in themselves. Shrimp, cabbage, scallions, eggs. Maybe a salad of sliced oranges and sweet onions with a light sherry vinaigrette. But not a lot else. Actually, the first thing I thought of was some Asian spare ribs. Then the two would be c0-main dishes. I have this fantastically easy and delicious recipe I make often that would be good with the Okonomiyaki.

SKK June 21, 2011

HI AJ, in Japan they are a meal by themselves. Think of pizza. Agree with Midge that salad would be a perfect accompaniment.

Amanda Hesser June 21, 2011

I'd serve them as a starter, then follow with this: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

SKK June 21, 2011

HI AJ, When I was first introduced to Okonomiyaki it was in Tokyo. We would go to these little neighborhood shops - some specialized in noodles, some in shabu shabu, some in okonomiyaki and so on. Because not all apartments had kitchens, it was an opportunity to cook with your family and friends. You would pick your ingredients and sit on the floor aound a table with a griddle in the middle and drink beer and talk, talk, talk and make your okonomiyaki. Everyone making their own and sharing. When I make it here, I go for that whole family do your own thing and we set up an electric griddle. I was so thrilled with Midge's recipe because it is so much more doable than the more complex recipe I had been using.

Greenstuff June 21, 2011

My first thought was, yep, just beer. Takes me back to Japan.

But since we're not in Japan, I'd second (or third or fourth) a green salad with an Asian-flavored dressing.

A great hot weather meal.

sexyLAMBCHOPx June 21, 2011

I agree with the salad and include daikon radishes, mizuna greens, with a ginger dressing. Perhaps some saled edaname as well. Serve with sake or beer, and invite me!

Summer of Eggplant
Summer of Eggplant June 22, 2011

We made them last week and served them with this chicken recipe from food52 although we used chicken thighs and reduced the cooking time to 20 minutes http://www.food52.com/recipes... and sauteed greens with garlic and ginger. Everyone was very happy with the meal.

brandon
brandon June 22, 2011

french fries!

walevitt
walevitt June 22, 2011

for a lighter meal, what about this cucumber recipe