Most condensed milk custards normally require eggs. But it turns out that a custard can be made with condensed milk and sour cream. Why does this work

I understand that eggs contain proteins that change from liquid to solid when cooked which gives the custard it's texture. How does sour cream accomplish this?

asked by gridflash over 1 year ago

what custard recipe have you seen that has these 2 without eggs?

I'm going to hazard a guess that this recipe has some sort of acid (eg. lemon juice, vinegar, etc). What the acid does is curdle the dairy and thickens it. I don't think the sour cream is totally responsible for the texture, though most sour cream has a thickener in it (read the label, look for things like pectin, gelatin, carrageenan etc).

gridflash

Actually, this came from a popular online recipe for key lime pie. It must have been the key lime juice that thickened the milk. Interesting. Thanks for the reply.

scruz

there is also a ginger, milk and sugar pudding that is a traditional chinese dessert. it is fascinating to see it made....look for it on youtube. i have no idea of the chemical reaction that occurs.

There's an enzyme in the ginger that thickens (curdles) the milk.