🔕 🔔

Feta Cheese Brine is Slimy

I opened a carton of the Trader Joe's produce called Authentic Greek Feta from Sheep milk, packaged in brine. It was in my very cold fridge for quite some time, though the seal was not broken and the expire date is 3/18. The brine was viscous, which I have not seen before. The cheese has a tang like just spoiling milk, not pleasant. I did rinse the cheese and put it into fresh salted water. Anyone seen this before? Internet references only refer to slimy conditions when cheesemaking. I hope they take it back without a receipt, the stuff isn't cheap.

I wanted feta and watermelon with mint and lime for breakfast. Luckily I recently bought a batch from a middle east market so that should be okay.

asked by nutcakes 2 months ago

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

Feta cheese is a perishable good, with limited shelf life even when properly stored.

You failed to eat it within its normal window of consumption which should be about a week after the expiration date.

Yours was nearly four months passed.

Why should Trader Joe's give you a refund? That's entitlement.

Should I feel like I should get a refund when I find a moldy three-month old stick of celery in the bottom of my fridge's crisper bin?

NO.

I'm under the impression the 3/18 nutcakes refers to is March 2018?

Answer fail. You didn't read carefully. The good till date is March 2018.

Voted the Best Answer!

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

cv, answers to questions should be in the spirit of helpfulness and conveyed in a kind and thoughtful manner. Please keep that in mind with future responses.

That's a bummer nutcakes, but Trader Joe's is great about taking stuff back, even without a receipt, so I think you'll be okay.

Well presumably you know when you bought this and if march 18th would have been feasible as an expiration date. But I had the same reaction, that this had expired in March. While I see references to longer expiration dates for Feta in brine they sound more like on the order of a few months, not going on for a year.

Check date format of similar items in the dairy case this week.
If necessary, ask store personnel to interpret is the second # a date or a year.
If date, you misread label. Chalk it up to learning.
If year and you still have product, take it in for return.

Update: Trader Joe's took it back on a 'no questions asked' basis, although I showed the expiration date of Mar 2018 and told them the problem anyway. Customer service said it is possible that the container had a pinpoint puncture. Anyway, I should add that I have enjoyed this product many times along with the slightly mellower and creamer sheep's milk feta from Israel from TJ. I have no problem with buying it in the future.
As a matter for anyone else, I am jonzing on watermelon and feta. Just plain is fine. Squeeze of lime fine. Some black and or red pepper, fine. Some mint or cilantro, fine. A little chopped cucumber, fine. Have not yet graduated to onion or olive oil on it. Why?

Nice conclusion!
Enjoy your feta and watermelon...