Too-chewy granola

94d7ba53 882a 4aaf a92f 07f602557dac  granola

The home-made granola I baked is now cooled but still chewy, rather than crunchy. I'd like to bake it again to dry it out. Any thoughts - good idea, bad idea? BTW, it is delicious - a recipe I saw in the NY Times
https://cooking.nytimes...

asked by DebJ over 1 year ago

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Since the NYT wants me to subscribe to view its recipes I'll have to infer....When I make granola, I cook it until its deeply golden brown, but not burnt. This usually requires a lot of tasting (not such a bad gig). You're essentially producing flavor and drying it out. To do this effectively, one shouldn't crowd the pan. A single layer I suggest you bake it again...but try dividing it onto two sheet pans. After you bake it, leave it completely uncovered until its completely cooled. I then store it in a loosely covered canister. It won't stale if you eat it quickly.