🔕 🔔

How would leg of lamb work as a substitute for lamb shoulder? Looking at the citrus/olive/lamb recipe got me wondering.

asked by bella s.f. about 7 years ago

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

Leg works fine flavor-wise, it just takes longer to cook to tender.

5f8d7fee 22ef 49ba a6b4 360299864c3e  n3ru8figt0zk0

Should be fine. The leg and the shoulder both get lots of exercise while they are still attached to the lamb. Seriously.

I defer to Pierino - the shoulder is just the meat from the area above the fore leg rather than the rear. The farm I usually purchase from packages lamb leg meat which definitely requires a liquid braise or stewing to become tender whereas their shoulder meat can be grilled and still be tender. Due to the shorter cook time in this recipe, I stuck with shoulder meat. However, this farm's leg meat is likely different than "leg of lamb", which is not something I generally cook. Maybe they cut from further down the leg or shank.