🔕 🔔

How would leg of lamb work as a substitute for lamb shoulder? Looking at the citrus/olive/lamb recipe got me wondering.

asked by bella s.f. almost 7 years ago

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

Leg works fine flavor-wise, it just takes longer to cook to tender.

Should be fine. The leg and the shoulder both get lots of exercise while they are still attached to the lamb. Seriously.

I defer to Pierino - the shoulder is just the meat from the area above the fore leg rather than the rear. The farm I usually purchase from packages lamb leg meat which definitely requires a liquid braise or stewing to become tender whereas their shoulder meat can be grilled and still be tender. Due to the shorter cook time in this recipe, I stuck with shoulder meat. However, this farm's leg meat is likely different than "leg of lamb", which is not something I generally cook. Maybe they cut from further down the leg or shank.