Rack of Lamb Recipe

I am cooking rack of lamb for the first time at a dinner party, in someone else's kitchen. I am looking for a great, somewhat foolproof recipe. I was thinking of coating the rack with olive bread crumbs/mustard/herbs, but I wouldn't mind a marinade, so that the lamb is super flavorful and tender. I would love not to have to sear the lamb before it goes into the oven, and the more I can do in advance, the better. Any/all advice would be appreciated!

asked by Cristina Sciarra over 5 years ago

Summer of Eggplant

Fool proof, my go-to. And it can be any combination of the herbs. I've done just rosemary before or added oregano. I do find I like more hebs, so I use their mix for herbs on one rack. http://www.epicurious.com...

Tarragon

I don't have the recipe immediately available, but I always use Barabara Kafka's recipe from Roasting. Preheat oven to 500 (I usually do 450), mix whole grainemustard, crushed garlic, and 1T olive oil and rosemary (I use thyme or whatever), salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minute for rare. Foolproof.

This is the exact way I do it. Never fails. I never marinate it beforehand - a rack of lamb (or good loin lamb chops) are flavorful and tender as they are. I just rub the mixture on an hour or so before roasting, when the meat is coming to room temp before going into the oven.

Tarragon

I don't have the recipe immediately available, but I always use Barabara Kafka's recipe from Roasting. Preheat oven to 500 (I usually do 450), mix whole grainemustard, crushed garlic, and 1T olive oil and rosemary (I use thyme or whatever), salt and pepper. Coat the racks with this. Roast for 20 minute for rare. Foolproof.

KiwiV

I like to marinate mine in a mixture of lemon juice, dijon mustard and rosemary. Delicious.

irinaleibo

You don't have to sear it and just make sure you don't over cook it. Super easy and delish. I too use whole grain mustard, herbs etc.
Cheers
irina

Your crumb/mustard coat sounds delicious, you could simply crush garlic with some salt and add olive oil to make a paste, I would add some lemon zest because I love citrus with meat, do like amysarah said and let it sit on the roast while it comes to room temp, add your crumbs and mustard , no need to sear and roast. I love lamb!

Cristina Sciarra

Thank you all so much for the great advice! I think I will use a combination of everyone's suggestions. I'll let you know how it turns out!

bigpan

Marinate as you wish. Most racks come with 8 bones. I cut in half (4 bone pieces), bbq to medium rare, then cut the 4 bone piece in half and crisscross (interlock the bones) the two bone pieces on the plate for a nice presentation.