A question about a recipe: Suspiciously Delicious Cabbage how high heat while cabbage cooks, should you cover it?

I have a question about step 2 on the recipe "Suspiciously Delicious Cabbage" from fiveandspice. It says:

"Stir in the ginger and cook for about a minute. Then, add in the cabbage, stirring well to coat it with the butter and other flavors. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 15-20 minutes, until the cabbage has softened and caramelized."

• Posted by: Rozste
  • February 20, 2011
7965bb91 9669 47da 9599 bb11342cf4ff  112210f 317
Recipe question for: Suspiciously Delicious Cabbage

Amanda Hesser February 20, 2011

Medium heat -- you may want to increase it toward the end to help with the caramelization.

innoabrd
innoabrd February 20, 2011

If you start off too hot, you'll start to burn the sugars in the dish, rather than caramelize them. and no, I wouldn't cover it.

RobertaJ
RobertaJ February 21, 2011

Yeah, no cover with medium heat. The higher heat is trying to cook it carmelized and crisp, not stewed and soft like low heat with a cover would do. But do keep an eye on it, all stoves, and all pans, and combinations thereof, are different.