🔕 🔔

Received a jar of Spekuloos Spread in my stocking at Christmas. Thoughts on how to use it? I was thinking swirled into a batch of vanilla ice cream...

asked by fromajolie over 6 years ago

9ae16185 c926 440b aee2 e06da25bf123  mlt yogateau 1

I spread mine on toast. A perfect breakfast or afternoon treat!

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Anyplace you might use Nutella or Belgium's old favorite, chocopasta (like Nutella but without the hazelnuts). Your idea of an ice cream swirl sounds good. I've also heard of people using it as a thin layer in spice cakes and cookies. But spread on bread is probably the end destination of most speculoos spread. Smaakelijk!

Never had it, but I have heard of it - namely, that it is fantastic.

What about on some silver-dollar-sized pancakes? I assume it's too thick to really get on a waffle, and not sure if it melts with a little heat.

Jealous! I love esoteric food gifts!

The guys over at the Wafels & Dings food truck serve it as a waffle topping. I get their Liège waffle with Spekuloos and it's quite awesome.

E82a4513 b98e 4e3a 9543 7e7eafa5ea45  heather workman

@cooks4fun: Of course there'd be a food truck like that in NYC. Jealous!

@mtrelaun: Great suggestion. Will certainly try this soon.

@Greenstuff: I've never heard of Chocopasta, but now I'm intrigued. I'll have to look for that, and in the meantime, use your suggestions with the Spekulaas.

@louie734: The gifts I love as well!

Cheers all, and thanks.

69d2403d 88f4 4b72 b0b9 84a21f4d0561  img 1445

You're in luck! That stuff is like crack for me. I love spreading it on crepes. It's also pretty good on a rice cake. Though I've never tried it, I imagine it would also be a good filling for macarons. Or you could eat it the way I most often do... with a spoon!

@CarlaCooks: HA! I think you and I could be great friends. Me and peanut butter have a history with spoons, and after tasting the Spekulaas, well... Will definitely try on crepes -- didn't think of that, which is odd, b/c we have them quite often. Cheers!