Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

how long does it take to toast pine nuts

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer almost 6 years ago
39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

It's more about watching for a good toasty brown color and noticing a nutty smell -- then you'll know they're done. It doesn't take long -- about 5 minutes on the stovetop and a bit longer if you're toasting in the oven, so watch them closely!

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

One minute in a dry pan. Keep the pan moving and toss so that they don't burn.

9ed12a6a b9d2 4d9d 9def 48ceb8acfccc  phoenix

Don't you love it when you get 2 different answers? Cooking time depends on the heat. I'm guessing pierino toasts them at a higher temp than kirsten, but the advice to watch for the smell will have you covered either way. This is true for all nuts: they have almost no smell raw, but develop a delicious aroma when toasted, which lets you know they're done.

D4615dda ef29 4fb3 8561 4bf1376fa7af  bav photo

I'd use medium heat so they don't cook too quickly and then cook them in a dry stainless steel pan on the stove top for about 3 minutes, but do not leave their side. Stir or shake frequently. As noted in other comments, they should develop a lovely deep golden color (easier to see with pine nuts than other nuts). Although I assume that you just want them toasted, but if you're putting them in a salad or serving them with pasta, they're delicious cooked in a bit of butter.

8d15d9cf 7f9f 46ec a8b7 7adad145fc4e  dsc 0954 wheat bread

Okay, so what I do is preheat my oven to 350, place the nuts on an ovenproof plate, and toast for 5 minutes. At that point I check them, and most times cook another 2-5 minutes. It basically depends on how many you're cooking; I like mine lightly brown in color and with a nicely toasted aroma.