What can you do with extra mint and cilantro? Can it be frozen as a chutney or pesto?

I have about 5 or 6 cups or mint leaves and 2 or 3 cups of cilantro. I would really like to do something like frozen pesto. Any ideas?

asked by lloreen over 7 years ago

absolutely, I freeze loads of pesto every summer ... you could make a cilantro / mint / lime / garlic sort of pesto and what I do is scoop it into snack sized ziplocks, make sure NO air is in there, and stack them in the freezer.

There's a delicious Asian Pesto in The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook, and I've seen variants in other sources.

tizzle

Pesto or a chimichurri sauce (similar to pesto, minus the cheese). You could also freeze them in an ice tray and pull out little cubes here and there to use if you want to brighten up a marinade, stir fry, pasta, etc.

tizzle

pauljoseph

Make a mint cilantro chutney and bottle and keep it in the fridge ( below the freezing point of water ).http://www.indiasnacks...

pauljoseph

above recipe instead of common salt use Kala Namak or Black Salt ( is a special type of Indian mineral salt.)