A question about a recipe: Grown-Up Birthday Cake

361a48e7 a614 4547 a065 3785413e224a  2018 0404 grownup birthday cake 3x2 bobbi lin 10257

I have a question about the recipe "Grown-Up Birthday Cake" from Midge. Would butter work instead of olive oil?

asked by Nancy about 1 year ago

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Sure. You could cream 2 sticks of softened butter with the sugar or just use a cup of melted butter...just measure after you melt.

POLC - might it not be 1.25 cup butter to replace 1 cup oil (as butter is about 80% fat but oil is 100% fat)?
reference link:
http://www.livestrong.com...

I would try and cook off the extra water, and then measure out a cup. Not quite clarified, but I don't really want to add extra water to the cake with the extra butter. I suppose I should have specified that. Lightly browned butter wouldn't hurt either. I add brown butter to whatever I can. If you're creaming the butter, I'd still stick with 2 sticks...but you're changing the consistency of the cake when you change both the fat and the mixing technique.

Personally, I'd go for the 1 cup of "clarified" butter. Just make sure to bring it to room temperature before serving. :)

Understood. I also worried about the extra water. Like both the ideas of almost-clarified and brown butter.

Out of curiosity, what draws you to this recipe? Why not find a butter cake?

I've already made this cake and loved it but my daughter didn't like the olive oil! Oh well...

THANKS!!!

In the headnotes, Midge states that the original called for vegetable oil, and that she subbed olive oil. So it seems you could go back to the original and use another such as sunflower or safflower, or you could try filtered coconut too