🔕 🔔

Curious. Have you ever encountered a recipe that requires an 8 quart Dutch Oven?

I have a new cookbook, Nom Nom Paleo's "Ready or Not" and was a bit blown away that a recipe required it. I see it as a "nice to have" item, not something to expect home cooks to own.

asked by rldougherty 4 months ago

Not sure about "required", but I've seen plenty of recipes that call for a dutch oven (or something close to it). I have one. It's a Lodge cast iron and I got it for braises and no knead bread.

3163f85f 9ea0 4c51 a0f1 ea1d9a2a7140  stringio

I ended up using two of them--I have a 5.5 quart and a 2 quart. It worked okay, but I am lucky I got that little 2 quart as a gift as I would never buy it myself.

E

Hmm that's interesting. What is the recipe if you don't mind sharing? Maybe it is a bulk recipe? My parents actually own two of those 8 or 9 quart dutch ovens BUT they only ever use it when entertaining like 20+ people - In South Asian culture, there are some dishes that can be made in huge portions like the fancy event staple Biriyani or like large amounts of curries etc. But no, I personally have never seen a recipe that required an 8 quart dutch oven unless it was some bulk situation.

It is a bulk recipe. Sunday gravy--country ribs, beef, and Italian sausage cooked in tomatoes. Still, an 8 quart Dutch oven is a tall order and I wish the recipe had been written for a 4-6 quart with a recommendation to double it. It was also a pain to halve, because I can only get San Marzano tomatoes in 28 ounce cans and it calls for three.

And I have been thinking about it I want an 8 quart, and I think I would rather have two 5.5 quarts. They store better.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

My friends Italian born mom always uses thing ginormous stockpot when making sunday sauce (sounds similar to yours) for her big family. Unless you cook recipes like that often, I wouldn't spend the money on one.