Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

I have a Le Creuset Dutch Oven which I LOVE.

I was cooking this week with it and the nob on the lid broke away in my hand

I am very disappointed, I talk about this Dutch oven at parties, really, recently at a williams and sonama I saw a woman looking at a Dutch oven and clearly questioning whether she should purchase and I interrupted her thinking and said " you will never regret this you will love this oven"

Anyway what should I do I have had the oven for about 2 years, I bought it in Ireland, I thought of it as an heirloom, not with a broken nob it isn't. Thoughts?

asked by casadelmonte almost 6 years ago

They have a lifetime guarantee. But it seems there are always strings attached to such things. Start reading, country where purchased may matter.

http://www.lecreuset.com...

It seems quite obvious that it's a product defect. I've heard that Le Creuset has an excellent product warranty. Call Le Creuset and ask them how they wish to handle replacing it for you. (Notice that I didn't say, "Ask them whether they will replace it.") Then please let us know how it turns out. ;o)

Le Cruset should replace the lid with no questions, and may replace the whole pot. You'll have to return it to them, but they have superb customer service, and an absolute life-time warranty.

That said.....you didn't put the pot into an oven above 350°, did you? Their literature specifically says the black, Bakelite knobs are not oven safe above that temp. If you did, DON'T tell them that ! ;-)

For future reference, they do offer replacement knobs made of stainless steel which are oven safe above 350°, or you can just wrap the knob in several layers of heavy duty aluminum foil, and it will protect it.

But contact them, and you should be well taken care of.

7d2e9fbe d94b 4831 9a41 e7e53d9676f8  img 0061

It seems like their "lifetime guarantee" should cover it--though if I were you I would just request a replacement stainless steel knob. I actually use a Lodge enameled dutch oven which was much cheaper on which I've replaced their plastic knob with the Le Creuset steel one available here http://www.amazon.com/Creuset... and other places.

I had mine explode in the oven (even might have been my fault) emailed and they said "no problem i just need the numbers on the bottom of you pot, and a shipping address" 3 days later - new lid

663f6437 fe75 4f5a 97d5 5dae5bece2ad  img 4597

I agree--Le Creuset lives up to its warranty, and more. The enamel in one of mine chipped and they replaced it without any of the purchase information, a receipt, or anything. That said, I agree with PrettyPeas--when I get a new Le Creuset (I know, addicted much?) I buy a stainless steel knob for the pot right away so that I can use it at high heat for things like No-Knead Bread (http://www.nytimes.com...).

Le Creuset stores sell the stainless steel knobs (just unscrew what's left of the knob that broke) or you can buy them online at a number of places. They screw right in--sometimes I don't even need a screwdriver. For example, here is one on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp...

E29013c2 3e90 48ab b297 41e445e1e562  sunshine small
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

So sorry to hear about your knob! I know how sonethibg like that can be traumatic on a beloved piece of cookware.

That said, a whole new lid seems wasteful. The knob is held on with a Simone screw. Ask for a new knob and 15 seconds with a screwdriver and you'll be all set. Heck, if you think you got your money's worth out of the pot you could even buy the knob yourself.

2269774e 64e7 47ec 8fb3 d6fb03cce199  debbykalk photo

Contact them - you might have to buy a new handle if it broke because of some kind of something you did but otherwise they should replace it: http://www.lecreuset.com.... Perhaps one of the new knobs will fit your lid. The new knobs are good in ovens up to 475 degrees.

I've never had a Le Creuset knob break, but I've gotten the sense over the years that it's not an uncommon occurrence. I've seen lots of replacement knobs for sale at cookware shops--they are readily available and not very expensive, in case you don't want to bother with contacting their customer service dept. It must be a weak point of their design, but perhaps it's on purpose, since the plastic--or whatever it is--stays a lot cooler than metal. (I have a Staub dutch oven with a steel knob, and more than once I've unthinkingly burnt my fingers on it, since I'm more used to cooking with my Le Creuset.)

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

I agree that replacing the knob and screw should be pretty damn easy. That said, I've become a convert to the Emile-Henry "Flame" series. The knob and lid are all of one piece. They withstand very high temperatures and can go straight from cold to a hot burner. Plus you get the additional benefits of earthenware---my favorite material to cook in.

9920059c c14d 4755 965d d880979c2f61  monkeys

I recently ordered a replacement knob on Amazon for 10 bucks. Easily screws off and on. I didn't think about the warranty since I knew that I was putting the pot in a oven that would probably be too hot for the knob...and was right! Funny because I have another le crueset and it's nob is fine at very high heat.

Last one I bought actually came with both a bakelite and a SS knob. a screw driver will do the trick and I'm sure if you call them they'll send you a new one.

Detachable handles are doomed to begin with. The next time you think about purchasing a dutch oven, look for one with a welded handle or knob. There may not be a next time for you, but maybe for people reading this post. Also consider buying a used, older model cast iron oven, with or without enamel, at an antique shop, flea market or junk store. Griswold and Wagner made the best and their quality will never be matched! You'll get bonus karma points for reusing a discarded pot!