Does anyone know what "chochos" are in English?

I live in Ecuador, where the legume "chocho" is very popular. I've heard it's a superfood. But I don't know what it's called in English. Anyone?

asked by s_L_hanson almost 8 years ago

francesca gilberti
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

I believe chochos are the Mexican chayote squash -- you may be able to find them in a famers' market with a lot of variety or even in a grocery...

I think you mean Lupinus mutabilis, which is a bean. I don't know if you can find it in the US, but it supposedly has a similar digestibility and nutritional value to soybeans.

betteirene

LisaVelez

They are known here as Lupini beans and are available in italian stores

Janet Helm 1

Chochos are legumes, they're different than Mexican chayote, a squash that is sometimes referred to as Jamacian chocho. These South American beans are not harvested in the U.S., but the closest thing you can find are the Lupini beans, often sold brined in jars in Italian and Latin markets. I wrote about chochos as the new quinoa, perhaps the next big superfood to rise out of the Andes. http://nutritionunplugged.com/2013/05/is-chocho-the-new-quinoa-this-ancient-south-american-legume-is-being-heralded-as-the-next-big-superfood/

Rosymar Rivera

In my country, chocho is an inappropriate slang word for vagina. I see some my friends on Facebook sharing a variety of chocho food just to amuse others, which made me curious to know what kind of food it is

Sandy Rodriguez

Lupini beans