Jelly Recipe Sugar Substitute

Rich Newton
Aug 21, 11:15 PM EDT

I realize that most jelly recipes call for approximately 4 cups of sugar, a certain amount of an acidic element (white vinegar, lemon juice), 32oz of a juice and a box or two of "pink box" pectin. If I wanted to prepare a jelly that contains a semi solid ingredient that has gelatin, would melt and contains sugar itself, how should I adjust the overall recipe in order for the outcome to be not so sweet, but also have the ability to set correctly?

Cordially,

Rich Newton

lynne
lynne August 23, 2017

I find your question confusing; not enough details about ingredients or process. Check out McClellans book on 'Naturally sweet food in jars" for possible recipes. Don't fool around- canning wrong can be dangerous!

C Sangueza
C Sangueza August 23, 2017

Rich
I think that pectin and gelatin work through different mechanisms so I don't know that there is a ratio to help you here and I don't know if it will work. If you don't plan to process the jelly in sealed jars and will keep it refrigerated or eat it up quickly you can experiment but I don't think this is a well known combination.

Nancy August 23, 2017

If I read your question correctly, you are starting with a prepared food that already has gelatin & sugar, and you want to make a jelly out of it, but are unsure how much sugar (by weight or percent) to add.
Suggestion: make 3 versions, one with sugar equal to your mystery ingredient, one with 80% sugar, one with 120% or 60% sugar.
Then compare.
And yes, be careful...use a responsible guide to canning for temperatures, cook times, etc.

Rich Newton
Rich Newton August 23, 2017

Thank you so much. Basically, I tried a jelly recipe using existing jelly beans. They melted great, but the outcome was not "set" as I would have liked, which I know how to fix. The issue was that with the added granulated sugar, the outcome was waaay too sweet. That and the sugar in the beans was my concern. I hit 220 with the temperature, but it was just a bit runny.

Nancy August 23, 2017

Do the jelly beans give any taste or texture better than you could get from a regular recipe for jelly ?

Rich Newton
Rich Newton August 23, 2017

The taste was exactly like the candy which was perfect. I melted about two cups of them in 32oz of organic "unsweetened" white grape juice, added three to four cups of sugar, 6 tablespoons of lemon juice and about a 1.5 boxes of pectin.