What is the best way to cook beets for a salad?

I recently had the most delicious beet salad at a restaurant. The beets were slightly sweet but perhaps that is just the natural flavor of the vegetable since I'm a recent convert to "beet eating!" How do I cook them for a salad..roast, boil?? Help!

Amanda Hesser February 26, 2011

Roasting is the best way to emphasize their sweetness. Here's what I do: I lay a large piece of foil on a baking sheet, put the scrubbed beets on top. Season with salt and oil. Cover with foil, crimp the edges and bake at 350 until tender -- usually 45 min for medium beets.

pauljoseph
pauljoseph February 26, 2011

I have a very good beets carrot vinegar salad recipe will post tomorrow

hardlikearmour February 26, 2011

I agree with Amanda. Roasting is the way to go. Large beets take 60-75 minutes.

foodfighter
foodfighter February 26, 2011

Agree with roasting. I add aromatic herbs (thyme, rosemary) as the beets really pick up the scent.

Dina Avila
Dina Avila February 26, 2011

Roasting is most definitely the way to go. I often roast them for a little less time to retain just a hint of firmness.

student epicure
student epicure February 26, 2011

i'm definitely with the roasting folks. when the beets are done, let them cool enough to handle, and then you can just slide the skin off with your fingers. you may look like lady macbeth, but it's super easy and the stain washes off =)

Greenstuff February 26, 2011

Me too, I roast. Here's my method: I put the beets in a glass loaf pan, add a splash of water, anything else I want to add, and cover it tightly with aluminum foil.

innoabrd
innoabrd February 26, 2011

I keep a box of disposable rubber gloves in the pantry for things like this and prepping chillies. That way the mess, or heat in the case of chillies, goes in the bin with the gloves. Nothing more annoying than rubbing your eyes after cutting chillies...except perhaps greeting a guest in a white shirt with beet stained hands...

Nora
Nora February 26, 2011

Yes to roasting. I slice the beets after peeling and store them in a ginger-infused simple syrup (light on the sugar). Wonderful by themselves, or with a salad.

Anitalectric
Anitalectric February 26, 2011

I enjoy them raw!