Misread yeast and salt measurements..

I accidentally used 2 tsp yeast and 1 tsp salt, instead of the other way around (1 of yeast and 2 of salt). It's a dough at 50% hydration, 20oz of flour. How different can I expect it to turn out? Should I start over?

• Posted by: Angela
  • August 26, 2017

702551
702551 August 26, 2017

It should be fine. The end product will be less salty than usual. Heck, you may end up preferring it that way, you'll find out.

Amy
Amy August 26, 2017

It may rise much faster since you have double yeast and not as much salt to help control it, and the flavor will be a bit different, but it would be worth following through to see if it turns out.

Angela
Angela August 26, 2017

I ended up kneading in the missing teaspoon of salt, to help keep the extra yeast in check. The bialys I was making still came out pretty great!

PieceOfLayerCake August 26, 2017

If you ever miss yeast in a dough and you're not too far into the process, you can hydrate it with JUST enough water to dissolve it into a loose paste and then knead that in VERY well. Your instincts with the salt, however, were right on!