Misread yeast and salt measurements..

I accidentally used 2 tsp yeast and 1 tsp salt, instead of the other way around (1 of yeast and 2 of salt). It's a dough at 50% hydration, 20oz of flour. How different can I expect it to turn out? Should I start over?

asked by Angela about 1 year ago

It should be fine. The end product will be less salty than usual. Heck, you may end up preferring it that way, you'll find out.

Amy
Amy

It may rise much faster since you have double yeast and not as much salt to help control it, and the flavor will be a bit different, but it would be worth following through to see if it turns out.

Angela

I ended up kneading in the missing teaspoon of salt, to help keep the extra yeast in check. The bialys I was making still came out pretty great!

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

If you ever miss yeast in a dough and you're not too far into the process, you can hydrate it with JUST enough water to dissolve it into a loose paste and then knead that in VERY well. Your instincts with the salt, however, were right on!