A penny fell in with my frozen vegetable scraps & I didn't realize it until after I made 20 hour veggie stock in the crockpot. Will it make me sick?

Voted the Best Reply!

PieceOfLayerCake August 30, 2017

Pennies are made of copper plated zinc and while both are toxic in large amounts, both are also essential elements for proper function. You would have to have fully dissolved several pennies in a solution to feel the effects of excess exposure. Does it taste funny? If not, I say don't worry about it.

ItsJustMeMegD
ItsJustMeMegD August 30, 2017

Thank you! It tastes fine...the I ly thing not fine is the fact I'll never know how a penny got into it!?

PieceOfLayerCake August 30, 2017

That is funny....look at it as good luck! ;)

Uncle Jess
Uncle Jess August 30, 2017

Good answers above, but I share your concern about not knowing how the penny got in there. If you don't know how it got in there, there may also be something else in there you don't know about.... But I am a bit of a worrier, so take this with a grain of salt. lol