Lentil Recipes

Ok thanks to Food52 I have purchased the first bag of lentils in my life. I as far as I know I have only even eaten lentils once. Like a 10 year old I was not looking forward to them (lentil soup) and of course it was delicious. So now I have my very own bag of green French lentils in search of a recipe. Suggestions? A soup or salad seems to be the main contender. I am not interested in making lentil vegan versions of other food items.

asked by caninechef about 1 year ago

Valhalla

The French ones hold their shape so make nice salads--I like crunchy celery in it.
One favorite soup is with ginger and lemon: http://savorynotebook.blogspot.com/2005/08/lemon-lentil-soup-with-spinach.html
I also love any soup recipe from Deborah Madison--she has a whole book of them, but most are probably found online: the one with sorrel cream and the chestnut/fennel one are both divine!

Dona

I love Patricia Wells Lentil Salad so much!
https://food52.com/recipes...

Megadara (many spellings).
Lentil and rice dish from the Middle East.
One fine version from the London restaurant Honey & Co uses tomatoes and cucumber to serve it as a salad. Or you can serve it hot, with sauteed onions and beef as a garnish. Recipe in the Financial Times newspaper and probably in one of their cookbooks.
Ottolenghi also has a good recipe.

Stephanie B.

I've made this salad recipe and liked it: https://food52.com/recipes...
Lentils are go-to addition to lots of my fall salads: cubed/thinly sliced roasted winter squash or fresh apple, lentil, roasted nuts, and various greens, with or without a grain (farro is a favorite) to bulk it up as a full meal, served with any french-style vinaigrette. Sauteed shallots are a nice addition too, either to the salad itself or mixed into the vinaigrette.
I wouldn't write off the vegan and vegetarian versions of lentil foods though. They're often easy to un-vegan (I use real cream and cheese in my lentil bolognese), and taste great (see a lentil walnut gyros recipe on Food52 that tastes nothing like gyros but it's a delightful meal in its own right).

Megedarra--a savory rice and lentil dish with fried onions. This is my version (I fry shallots in addition to onions both to garnish and add flavor. I also use French lentils because they don't get mushy). We serve with yogurt. https://food52.com/recipes... . The good thing about lentils is that they cook quickly: no soaking necessary!

Lentil and Sausage Soup for a Cold Winter's Night by AntoniaJames is delicious. The recipe is on the site.