A question about a recipe: Sauerkraut Lentil Soup

I have a question about the recipe "Sauerkraut Lentil Soup" from AntoniaJames. How about a vegan version???

ZombieCupcake
ZombieCupcake May 31, 2013

Could try with tempeh and vegetable stock instead

darksideofthespoon

I would just change the stock to veggie, up the chard and leave out the turkey. Lentils are pretty filling on their own!

HalfPint May 31, 2013

Yes, leave out the turkey leg and use a vegetabl stock/broth. If you want a little bit of smokiness, add a few drops of liquid smoke or add a little smoked paprika.

AntoniaJames May 31, 2013

I'd just leave the turkey leg out and add a small spoonful of doenjang (sort of like miso, but Korean and much deeper in flavor, and the kind I buy is less salty). And I might add some dried shitakes to the veggie broth. (I eat 18 vegan meals a week these days, so I've been adapting all of my recipes along these lines lately.) The sauerkraut is so full of flavor, you really don't need the meat. Oh, and I'd add a large bay leaf fairly early on. ;o)

maglife
maglife June 1, 2013

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE GREAT SUGGESTIONS ;-)