How long to roast a BIG spatchcock?

I have an 8+ pound chicken marinating in buttermilk. It's not actually spatchcocked but cut in half, i.e., in two pieces. Do I follow the usual 20-minutes-per-pound formula? This is for tonight!

• Posted by: LisaD
  • September 13, 2017

Voted the Best Reply!

MMH
MMH September 13, 2017

Use a meat thermometer and roast to 160 degrees (Insert where thigh meets body). I like to roast at higher heat -400. I also like to use the polder thermometer with remote so you never have to open the oven door. When you take the chicken out tent with foil & let rest 20 min.

LisaD
LisaD September 13, 2017

Thanks, I will do this, but I am looking for an approximate cooking time so that I know when to put it in. Can you help with that?

AntoniaJames September 13, 2017

Assuming that the bird has been brought to room temperature before putting it into a hot oven, I'd estimate 1.75 to 2 hours, at most, 15 minutes to the pound - but the actual time will depend on the temperature of the oven (hotter oven = less time, but be sure to tent the breast if it browns too quickly), how often you open it during the roasting period, whether you're using convection, etc. Salt the bird well at least a day in advance, and pour a wine glass full of white wine over it 15 or 20 minutes before you think it will be done, for best results. ;o)

MMH
MMH September 13, 2017

I agree with Antonia but pour a glass of wine for yourself!