🔕 🔔

Is it ok for chicken to marinate in buttermilk for 48 hours?

I had planned to cook it tonight, but a change of plans means the chicken will marinate for an extra day. Thoughts?

asked by Ms. T over 5 years ago

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Safe, as long as it's refrigerated. Not advisable in my opinion. The acid in the buttermilk could turn the flesh mushy. I'd play it safe by rinsing the chicken off in the interim.

E6f5e079 1551 4472 bc70 dcc35a71edc2  110

Does anyone think there would be a problem with taking it out, and storing it another way? I think that's what I would do, but I really don't know.

If you are going to fry the chicken (usually the reason for a buttermilk marinade) you could take it out of the buttermilk after day 1, dredge in flour, dip in egg wash, and coat with whatever coating you are using (cornmeal, more flour, corn flake crumbs, panko, etc) and place on a cooling rack over a sheet pan. Put back in fridge for final 24 hours. This will make a super crunchy crust that will not come off in the frying pan! Just a thought!

959cbed1 6d53 423b a801 4cdce9613645  open uri.13930

I have done a 48 hour marinade with yogurt/saffron/s&p. A Persian-style kabob. It was perfectly good. No mushy issue here. I have read that mushy foods come from a strong acid such as lemon juice/wine.

Shirley Corriher on Marinades:

http://www.finecooking...

And teriyaki sauce. Depending on how corse the meat is. For example, Sirloin can stand up to teriyaki sauce overnight, but a tenderloin gets mushy after just a few hours...