Is it ok for chicken to marinate in buttermilk for 48 hours?

I had planned to cook it tonight, but a change of plans means the chicken will marinate for an extra day. Thoughts?

asked by Ms. T over 6 years ago

ChefOno

Safe, as long as it's refrigerated. Not advisable in my opinion. The acid in the buttermilk could turn the flesh mushy. I'd play it safe by rinsing the chicken off in the interim.

bugbitten

Does anyone think there would be a problem with taking it out, and storing it another way? I think that's what I would do, but I really don't know.

Susan Boyles

If you are going to fry the chicken (usually the reason for a buttermilk marinade) you could take it out of the buttermilk after day 1, dredge in flour, dip in egg wash, and coat with whatever coating you are using (cornmeal, more flour, corn flake crumbs, panko, etc) and place on a cooling rack over a sheet pan. Put back in fridge for final 24 hours. This will make a super crunchy crust that will not come off in the frying pan! Just a thought!

chefsusie

I have done a 48 hour marinade with yogurt/saffron/s&p. A Persian-style kabob. It was perfectly good. No mushy issue here. I have read that mushy foods come from a strong acid such as lemon juice/wine.

ChefOno

Shirley Corriher on Marinades:

http://www.finecooking...

Drew

And teriyaki sauce. Depending on how corse the meat is. For example, Sirloin can stand up to teriyaki sauce overnight, but a tenderloin gets mushy after just a few hours...