🔕 🔔

Help, community!

This is a fun question, just to get some new ideas.

I don't need recipe links and I don't need menus. Just ideas, which is the most fun part of planning an "important" dinner for 14.

For example: This afternoon I was lucky/crazy enough to stumble into a 2 star Michelin restaurant in St. Emilion--apparently you can just that do in France. The first course was a "tomato soup," which of course couldn't have been further from a tomato soup, but was the essence of late summer: Perfect tomatoes, slivers of plums, a bit of vanilla and a shower of flowers and... burrata ice cream. (Also: Wine.) That's an idea I'm going to steal--A savory ice cream as part of a first course soup. I don't need a recipe for a burrata ice cream, I can figure that out myself, but I am interested your wildly different ideas for interesting food and unusual combinations, particularly for vegetable sides and, always, wacky starters that make everyone wonder what's next.

This is a business dinner, three weeks from now, which will be succeeded by meetings in Sonoma, largely ceremonial.

What would you serve if you wanted to impress?

asked by Exbruxelles 18 days ago

You've already got your soup, or I would have suggested Bocuse's soupe aux truffes noire elysee, which I was lucky enough to have one May afternoon, for a dramatic opener.
Second, in Sonoma your crowd has probably eaten lots of impressive meals. So I wouldn't compete. Rather, I'd cook good simple food in abundance to make them happy.
If you know your crowd, it's easier to plan.
If you don't, have a selection that allows for various allergies or proscribed foods.
Get the freshest ingredients.
Make (mostly) things you have mastered, with maximum one new-to-you or experimental dish.
Last, my one idea for you is Dorie Greenspan's pumpkin stuffed with everything good - it is seasonal, flexible and can be a main or a side.

This is a fun question. I'm looking forward to what others suggest, and what you eventually serve.