🔕 🔔

Pesto is way too garlicky. How can I fix it?

I am pretty inexperienced, so I blindly followed an online recipe for pesto. It called for 5 cloves of garlic, and I know now that’s way too much! The whole batch is pretty garlicky. I added an avocado, a lot more olive oil, and spinach to try to dial it down. It worked a little bit it’s still pretty garlicky. It’s a pretty big batch so I’d like to save it if possible! (I should mention that I am vegan so I can’t use any dairy/animal products) Thank you!

asked by Kristy Coventry 3 months ago

3299dd0b a953 46f5 8a98 a0241f3b893a  256
MMH

We grow our own basil and i understand the proportions can be tricky. If you really have that much and have access to more basil, I would just puree a bunch of it with olive oil and stir it in to what you have.. We also puree ours with kale just to sneak in a vegetable. Good - luck pesto is gold and summer is fading!

As a last resort, freeze some or all in small portions (ice cube tray), then use to sauce large amounts is plain carbs (potato, pasta, toast or baguettes)...which will help diffuse the garlic. Can also be mixed into bland tomatoes for similar uses.

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

More basil solves everything! Are you using pine nuts in the recipe? Maybe add a vegan Parmesan too.