🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Shrimp Biryani (Indian Shrimp and Rice)

4eeafdb7 1235 4d41 9970 cf002d983106  2017 0509 indian biryani rice shrimp james ransom 156

I have a question about step 5 on the recipe "Shrimp Biryani (Indian Shrimp and Rice)" from amreen. It says:

"Heat the oil on medium in an oven safe dish. Add the peppercorns, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and 1 bay leaf. Saute until fragrant, approximately 2-3 minutes."

I have ground cloves but not whole cloves. I also have whole allspice and juniper berry (which I think is vastly different than the whole clove!) Is it better to substitute with ground cloves, or what else could you recommend? I am so thrilled so far with the aromas from this Oscar Awards dinner recipe, and nothing is even cooking yet!)

asked by LobsterBrieAvocadoBreath over 6 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I'd use the ground cloves, but probably only an eighth to a quarter teaspoon. (Clove can be overpowering, so I'd err on the side of caution the first time.) Add it in the last 30 or so seconds of the sautéing.

agree with HLA. use the ground clove, but just a small amount as ground clove can be quite overwhelming.