🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Shrimp Biryani (Indian Shrimp and Rice)

4eeafdb7 1235 4d41 9970 cf002d983106  2017 0509 indian biryani rice shrimp james ransom 156

I have a question about step 5 on the recipe "Shrimp Biryani (Indian Shrimp and Rice)" from amreen. It says:

"Heat the oil on medium in an oven safe dish. Add the peppercorns, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and 1 bay leaf. Saute until fragrant, approximately 2-3 minutes."

Do the cardamom pods stay in tact? Are we to open them? ONe of them burst during the saute...which I assume is fine, i got rid of the husk...

asked by LobsterBrieAvocadoBreath over 6 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Just let them do what they will. I generally pick them out before serving at the end when I use them in similar applications. If the pods burst the seeds will soften up enough so that if someone bites into them, they'll get a pop of cardamom flavor, but it shouldn't be overwhelming.

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Yes, leave them whole. If they burst that's ok -- and if they don't that's fine, too. By the way, I've made this dish many times, and it's terrific every time. Hope you enjoy it!

B997a3e0 15e1 4323 99cc bf778a6da88e  52

don't worry about the heavenly spices enjoy the biryani

652d646b e255 4aed bc0c 8455f35feff3  3224890089 8213e2c05b b

I often use whole cardamom in dishes. It imparts the fragrance without overwhelming. The seeds are fine too, so no worries. Whole spices are often used in Indian cooking and you just sort of pick them out as you eat, generally, though a bit of cardamom seed won't hurt anyone. A bit of whole cardamom or even the seeds are sometimes part of the little breath-freshening sweets offered after an Indian meal.