Any suggestions for using up leftover citrus peel?

It is sliced thinly, no pith. Would like to avoid just candying it.

asked by coconutlime over 7 years ago

Oh, but candied is do delicious. You could dry it then add it to loose black or green tea, to make your own blend - maybe even throw some herbs or spices in (dried mint, cardamom, dried ginger come to mind.) Who knows, if you come up with something really lovely you could give it as gifts! You could also make marmalade.

Garnish a martini or two.

I like drbabs answer.

I like Sam1148's answer!

I like the martini idea too...or if you have too much peel for just a couple of drinks, you could put several strips in a bottle of good (unflavored) vodka and let it sit for a while - a sort of homemade flavored vodka.

coconutlime

Fun answers, thanks! We are making marmelade so I have several cups of peel left.

chef_ub

I freeze it in individually labeled jars- just as it is. As I save new zest, I rotate the older by removing it from the jar, placing the new zest on the bottom, and replacing the older zest on top. Fresh is always best, but frozen is better than dried or none at all.

ellenl

see Jessica Tom's just-posted carrot/ clem. peel entry.

@hardlikearmour
Now I use a product called "True Lime" for the popcorn salt now. It's crystallized lime.
They also make citrus and lemon too. Great to carry with you for bottled water, or use with club soda.
http://www.truelemon.com/

gt9
gt9

Or, if you are out of good ideas, just add to the compost bin.

Here's to the martini idea and all who agree with it. And there's always the underwear drawer!

nishis

You can also use it to scent sugar or salt. Really work it in with your fingers to release the oils.

That's brilliant, nishis!