🔕 🔔

How to cold ferment dough in winter season?

In summers it is easy to cold ferment dough in refrigerator but in winters, refrigerator's temperature becomes very cold. I don't know how to cold ferment it.

asked by Manisha Agrawal 4 days ago

Ted

I use the recipes from Peter Reinhart's "Artisan Bread Everyday". The doughs go overnight into the fridge, no matter the season.

Ok.. and what about pizza dough? I mean will it work on this type of dough?

Yes, it will. If the fridge is colder, it will slow down the fermentation even more, but the dough should taste and perform fine. You might want to let the dough sit out on the counter, to warm up a bit, before using it.

I often put pizza dough in the fridge. In fact, I have a recipe in Food52's "Baking" cookbook that calls for refrigerating it. In the cooler months I usually take the dough out of the fridge, cut it into 2 pieces, cover it with plastic wrap / cling film, and let it sit on the counter for about 45 minutes before stretching it and putting the toppings on. ;o)

Wow... Thanks :-)