🔕 🔔

Duck

I rendered a small amount of duck fat and made cracklings yesterday. A good percentage of the raw material was duck meat, which I separated from the skin before rendering. So now I have about 4+ ounces of raw duck meat in a container in the fridge and maybe half a cup of the cooked and strained duck fat. It's probably just enough meat to season with herbs, then sauté in either oil or the duck fat to further flavor the stuffing, or else to simmer in duck fat, "quick rillette-style" just to use on toast for a small family meal later. Does anyone have suggestions for what to do with it? Will it get "lost" in the stuffing? I don't want to waste it. There's not a lot of fat attached...

asked 27 days ago

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

Hi Lisanne - here's a previous thread on duck fat that you might want to scroll through for ideas: https://food52.com/hotline... and one of my coworkers sees this farm at the farmers market and passed on their website with recipes: http://www.mapleleaffarms...

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Hi Lindsay-Jean!
I guess I wasn't clear: it's actually the small amount of raw meat that I'm not sure what to do with now.

Ah, gotcha. I know duck is very flavorful, but I would worry that it would get lost in the stuffing and would lean towards your idea to have it on toast for a small family meal later.

Not sure what you're worried about losing in the stuffing. All 3 items (the cracklings, raw duck meat & duck fat) will enhance your stuffing.
On the otherhand, if you like the flavors, keep them for a "cook's portion" snack...e.g. omelette or crepes with duck-meat filling, potatoes roasted with duck fat, a glass of red wine on the side, as you continue to make Thanksgiving magic.

Nancy, you made me laugh! I needed a reminder that this whole process can be pleasurable for the cook as well as the guests! (breathes)

Not a bad problem to have! I'd simmer in the duck fat & do a quick rillette, then smear on some crostini for a little appetizer.

1159112d e9d2 47a5 aa03 ccf4491917f1  img 9977
cratecooking

Susan is a Recipe Tester for Food52

Yes, I think it would get lost in the stuffing. 4 ounces is a small amount. I would sear it to medium-rare, thinly slice it, and maybe serve on some crostini? It would be delicious with a little cranberry sauce, or maybe a small version of this recipe https://food52.com/recipes...

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

You could do a version of this Venetian tagliatelle with duck confit (simmer the meat in the fat) for maybe 2 people, or 4 as a first course: http://www.simplyrecipes... You could also mix it with porcini mushrooms for a killer ravioli filling.