Dinner tonight Help- duck, hasselback potatoes and....?

fresh herb marinated duck breasts that I will do on the grill or cast iron pan, hasselback potatoes that I'll either do on the grill under the duck (i.e.. duck fat on taters), and purée of something...but what?

Alexandra V. Jones
Alexandra V. Jones September 25, 2015

I found some beautiful red chard yesterday.....tis the season! It would be lovely with duck. Maybe just blanch it and then stir fry with a bit of olive oil and garlic or even a drizzle of oyster sauce.

Karsten Robbins
Karsten Robbins September 25, 2015

good idea. Nice and green. Thx

HalfPint September 25, 2015

puree of celeriac?

Karsten Robbins
Karsten Robbins September 25, 2015

was thinking of celeriac and it is a flavor we don't see too much in the US. But then, the plate has two pale ingredients :-) It's all about the visuals. Then again, the red wine sauce would take care of that

HalfPint September 25, 2015

If you want some color, maybe a carrot & parsnip puree.

amysarah September 25, 2015

With the rich duck and duck fat spuds, I think I'd tend to do a simple green salad (or arugula or watercress...) in a sharp, mustardy vinaigrette. Good counterpoint and will cut the richness. I know that's not a puree, just a thought.

Niknud
Niknud September 25, 2015

I agree with amysarah. Since duck and potatoes are rich and carb-y, I'd go for something acidic - caesar salad or a quick pickled something or other. If you're committed to puree, maybe beets with balsamic vinegar reduction and mint?

Karsten Robbins
Karsten Robbins September 25, 2015

thx Amysarah and Niknud. Good points on the richness.

Bevi
Bevi September 25, 2015

Homemade applesauce, which my grandparents always served with duck in their Czech-Germanic kitchen.