🔕 🔔

Why is baked chicken breast so dry?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 6 years ago

Because it has been overcooked. Use a thermometer and cook to 160F (internal) and let it stand for a few minutes before cutting. If you cook it too long or cut it too soon it will be dry. Good luck!

It is due to overcooking. You must just cook until the inside temperature barely registers 160. Get a instant read thermometer so you can check. The temp can continue to rise as it rests, especially in the breasts are large. Chicken on the bone will usually come out moister. Another way to try to keep breasts moist is to brine them for a short period of time.

It is typically overcooked. The way to avoid this is 1) cook with the bone it and 2) brine the chicken in advance. Brining the breast will help retain the moisture in the breasts.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Threemealsaday is right on. I always, always bring my chicken breast and whole chicken for that matter. Brining allows boneless chicken breast, when not over-cooked, to remain tender.

Ahh, the real question is are you baking single boneless, skinless chicken breasts? If so, don't bake them! Put them in a pan and cook them low and slow so that they cook all the way through but doesn't drive the juices out to an internal temo of 160F and let stand for a few minutes before cutting. I only brine for the grill or BBQ.

I'm down with ChefDaddy's advice on this one. And he poses the right question, are these "skinless, boneless breasts" (an abomination against nature anyway)? Chicken with skin, cooked on the bone will be moister and more tender.

2269774e 64e7 47ec 8fb3 d6fb03cce199  debbykalk photo

As everyone else says, start with bone-in, skin-on chicken, but you can also brown on the stove briefly, then you can bake, but cover - even if with foil, it will be moister than if without. It will be more flavorful, too.

I'm with latoscana. I brown them first in a skillet for nicely caramelized flavors, s&p on both sides, then put the skillet (ovenproof!) in a 250 degree oven until done to 160 degrees measured at the thickest part. Then take them out, cover with a couple of towels, and let rest in the skillet for 5 minutes or so before serving. The slow baking keeps the chicken from overbaking, the rest period lets fluid reinflate the cells, and the caramelizing means they are beautiful and very flavorful. Bon appetit!

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

The number one reason, ahead of overcooking is the quality of the chicken. I guarantee if you buy a quality organic chicken, such as Eberly chicken over a Tyson . . . . Night and day the Eberly will always come out moist. How a chicken is raised, what it is fed and especially how it is processed will determine the moistness and quality. Save your brining, that is for low quality. For the last 35 years I have proved this time and time again to other cooks. . . Quality does matter when it comes to your ingredients.

I thought that's how boneless, skinless chicken breasts were meant to be. I mean, they seem to sell a lot of them, and charge a premium for them. I just figured it people who actually went out of their way to eat them, liked them like that...