My husband put the oven 100 degrees lower than it was supposed to be for my pumpkin pie. How will that change cooking time?

My pumpkin pie recipe calls for 20 minutes at 375 and 30 minutes (or until nearly set) at 325. My husband accidentally lowered the temp to 225. It has been going at that temp for 35 minutes. Should I just keep it going at the lower temp until it's mostly set or raise it back to the correct temp?

asked by Jess 9 months ago

Hi Jess, I would raise it back up to 325F (and the pie should be fine, just take a bit longer), but take the pie out while the oven comes up to temperature, then stick it back in (just in case there's an unexpectedly hot blast of heat while it tries to get up to temp). Typically pumpkin pies are done when they jiggle like Jello if you give them a gentle shake.

Jess

Thanks Kristen. I've just been letting it go at 225 for 5 minute increments. It seems done but I'm not sure. Can you rebake a pumpkin pie if the custard doesn't seem fully set after it cools, or will that cause the custard around the edges to overbake and crack?

If it seems done (jiggly/wobbly, but not liquidy), it probably is. If by some chance it's not, you could try rebaking it at a low temperature and if it cracks, just cover it with whipped cream or chopped pecans or something else delicious and pretty and no one will know!

Jess

What temperature would you recommend if I do need to rebake it? It seems fine though. Thanks for your help!

I'd go with 225 again! Who knows, maybe you've discovered an amazing new slow-baked custard?