🔕 🔔

Spatchcocked with no breast bone!

I ordered my turkey spatchcocked (with instructions), and of course my butcher cut the backbone to butterfly the bird (and left it there), but totally removed the breastbone instead of cracking it. How can I protect the breast? I have an urge to stuff whatever I can into the breastbone cavity...spare wing bones from stock, veggies...please help!

asked by Jacklyn Salama Lahav 23 days ago

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

Oh I'm sorry Jacklyn, that's frustrating. Is the turkey still intact in the front? So the breast is still there, not separated, but the bone is out?

Cb09a9bf 3224 4863 bccf c85fed4acec5  fb avatar

I know :(. That's exactly how it is.

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Hi Jacklyn, I'm guessing you're planning to roast the turkey, skin side up. If this is the case, I would lay a bed of vegetables under the breast area and when you put the turkey in the pan, push the two sides of the breast as close together as possible. Sorry your butcher got it wrong but I think it should turn out ok, and carving will be easier since there's no breastbone. :)

To clarify, when I said to lay a bed of vegetables under the breast area -- spread the vegetables in the roasting pan before you lay the turkey on top.

Thank you! The recipe calls for dry-brining and airing out (which I did overnight), placing on a rack on a rimmed baking sheet and roasting at 450F. I'm assuming I should place the veggies on the rack under the breast? I was planning on roasting for about an hour (with checking temp); do you think I will be adjusting that time significantly because of the lack of breastbone? And what do I do if I see the breast is cooked well before the legs are up to temp: Can I tent with foil without compromising the skin crisping up? Thank you!!