Uses for homemade turkey stock

Ive started to feed my dogs freshly broiled turkey and chicken (vet-recommended) and have found myself with a relatively consistent supply of turkey and chicken breast bones. Any good suggestions for use of the stock I can make from the bones? Particularly the turkey stock? Thanks in advance!

asked by Jr0717 over 3 years ago

Meaghan F

Yum!! You should be able to substitute it for any recipe that calls for chicken stock. I'd also suggest freezing some in ice cube trays, then pulling one out pretty much anytime you need to make a pan sauce.

Agreed. You can also make a whole repertoire of chicken soups and stews from around the world...Thai, curried, herbal, spicy hot, oniony, with root vegetables, with gumbo, with dumplings, with mushrooms, with white wine etc etc. Don't forget chicken pot pie, or turkey pot pie, using the stock as base for the sauce.

Jr0717

Hello Meaghan and Nancy,

I didn't think of using the stock as a base for sauce, or saving it as ice cubes for future use. Thank you so much for the ideas!

I always have stock on hand to simply sip out of a mug. Turkey stock is my favorite. Here are 3 great recipes that use quite a bit that I always keep on hand:
https://food52.com/recipes...
https://food52.com/recipes...
https://food52.com/recipes...

drshakyhands

My mom used hers in turkey and sausage gumbo. We only ever made turkey on Thanksgiving and I loved looking forward to gumbo made with the stock from the turkey's bones. She made a roux with flour and butter and then added her mirepoix (but with green bell peppers instead of carrots). Simmered all that in the turkey broth she made the night before for a couple of hours. Then she added the leftover turkey meat and some boudin and okra and it was amazing.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Ramen! Dose it up with soy sauce, mirin, sake and ginger then braise some veggies and maybe a bit of pork shoulder in it. Finish it off with some fresh noodles (Sun Noodles sells their fabulous brand in many Asian grocery stores), a poached egg and some scallions and you have yourself a fantastic meal.

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Throw it in your rice cooker (or pot) instead of water next time you make rice.

Jr0717

Hello all,

Thank you very, very much for the responses! Im excited to try out some old and new recipes, substituting the stock for chicken stock in some old favorites and testing out some of your new suggestions as well.

I really appreciate the feedback!