Sugar pie won’t thicken. I only use milk, sugar, flour. How do I adjust for altitude?

My grandma from Nebraska used this recipe. I live in Denver. I bake it at 425 for 10 mins and 350 for 50 mins. Extending baking time still doesn't work.

asked by Darcy 10 months ago

How much did you extend the baking time? That's usually a good rule of thumb for cooking pie fillings at higher altitude. Also, have you checked that your oven temp is accurate?

Darcy

Thanks for your response. I'm sure my oven temperature is correct. I baked 10 minutes longer.

Another thing you could try is to cover the top of the pie with foil. This typically helps speed up the baking process of a custard pie when cooking at high altitude.

Darcy

I tried that too. I wonder if I adjust the temperature to 375 instead of 350.

Darcy

Thanks Merrill for your help! I really appreciate it. I'll keep experimenting. Happy Thanksgiving!

Sorry you're still having trouble after all that! Maybe a higher temp will do it. Good luck, and Happy Thanksgiving!