Sugar pie won’t thicken. I only use milk, sugar, flour. How do I adjust for altitude?

My grandma from Nebraska used this recipe. I live in Denver. I bake it at 425 for 10 mins and 350 for 50 mins. Extending baking time still doesn't work.

• Posted by: Darcy
  • November 23, 2017

1 Comment

Merrill Stubbs November 23, 2017

How much did you extend the baking time? That's usually a good rule of thumb for cooking pie fillings at higher altitude. Also, have you checked that your oven temp is accurate?

Darcy
Darcy November 23, 2017

Thanks for your response. I'm sure my oven temperature is correct. I baked 10 minutes longer.

Merrill Stubbs November 23, 2017

Another thing you could try is to cover the top of the pie with foil. This typically helps speed up the baking process of a custard pie when cooking at high altitude.

Darcy
Darcy November 23, 2017

I tried that too. I wonder if I adjust the temperature to 375 instead of 350.

Darcy
Darcy November 23, 2017

Thanks Merrill for your help! I really appreciate it. I'll keep experimenting. Happy Thanksgiving!

Merrill Stubbs November 23, 2017

Sorry you're still having trouble after all that! Maybe a higher temp will do it. Good luck, and Happy Thanksgiving!