What flavour pairs with date!

asked by Mavissk about 1 year ago

Windischgirl

Are you cooking savory or sweet?
A classic combo is date-walnut, with the bitterness of the walnuts adding a nice contrast to the sweet date. Another classic combo is ‘devils on horseback’ in which dates are wrapped in bacon and baked until the bacon crisps. Salty and sweet in one. Also try stuffing a date with a small piece of Brie (or cream cheese), or marzipan, or an almond.
In Middle Eastern cooking, dates would be combined with almonds or pistachios, apricots, and oranges. Since dates are quite sweet, the contrast well with sour, salty, and tannic flavors.
To learn more about food pairings, I recommend “The Flavor Thesaurus” by Niki Segnit. It’s a fascinating read.

scruz

a friend of mine makes the most divine chocolate brownies and the secret ingredient is dates.

Tahini (as in date tahini fudge or cake)
Chicken (various Spanish chicken dishes with dried fruit)
Vinegar & sugar (as in chutney)

Lost_in_NYC

pistachio
chocolate
orange

As Windischgirl states, are you looking to make a Savory or Sweet dish?

Cassie Jones

Goat cheese, thyme, honey.

MMH
MMH

Blue cheese & nuts