Where do you buy pink salt?

I'm trying to corn beef. I can't find the pink salt with the sodium nitrate. Where to get it? Do I need it?

beyondcelery
beyondcelery March 1, 2011

I know you can buy Himalayan pink salt at Whole Foods and I believe this works for a corned beef brine. I've never corned beef myself, though.

foongfest
foongfest March 1, 2011

Himalayan pink salt is different from the 'pink salt' used for curing (also called Prague Powder No. 1). Himalayan pink salt doesn't contain nitrites that are required for curing.

Also, you are looking for nitrite, not nitrAte when making corned beef. (salts that contain a mix of nitrite and nitrates, Prague Powder No. 2 are used for slower cures such as dry cured sausage. Generally, it shouldn't be cooked at high temperatures.)

I don't usually shop at whole foods so I can't say if they have them. I would think a butcher supply store would have them. I get mine online. You can do a search for prague powder no. 1 to find an online retailer.

SKK March 1, 2011

Mrs. Wheelbarrow has some great recipes and ideas on brining corned beef today at the site http://www.mrswheelbarrow.com/2011/02/charcutepalooza-march-challenge-brining/ I found it very informative.

TiggyBee
TiggyBee March 1, 2011

You can get it in the food section of Sur La Table, but it'll be more expensive than if you buy it in bulk. Do you have a co-op store nearby? Not sure about the corned beef part either, but I know that pink salt is supposed to be a very pure salt, if not the purest.

foongfest
foongfest March 1, 2011

Oh yeah, by nitrite and nitrate, I mean sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate. :)
(The alternative is potassium nitrate and nitrite. I don't have very much experience with that)

Hope this helps.

TiggyBee
TiggyBee March 1, 2011

Oops, curing salt. Misunderstood the question. I have a box of Morton's quick cure salt, but have yet to cure something!! : )

mtrelaun
mtrelaun March 1, 2011

Pink curing salt (aka sel rose) can be found at Le Sanctuaire online: http://bit.ly/fhU6w9

monkeymom
monkeymom March 1, 2011

Thanks guys! My beef and brine are ready to go so I'm going to leave it out this time. I'll try the mail order for next time and see what the difference in taste will be. And yes, nitrite! Thanks for the correction.

puresugar
puresugar March 1, 2011

Got mine (avail in 1/2 & 1 lb) at butcherpacker.com--other curing supplies there, too. Heard about it from Ruhlman, I think.

Jennifer Ann
Jennifer Ann March 1, 2011

The Spice House, or Penzeys, has a wonderful sea salts (pink, red, black . . .) and just about any other spice or dried herb you can possible imagine - available online (or at a great little store in Milwaukee, if you happen to be around)

louie734
louie734 March 1, 2011

Trader Joe's also carries it, in a grinder. But you can unscrew the top of it and use it unground, too.

louie734
louie734 March 1, 2011

Oops, got excited and forgot about the curing bit. TJ's is the un-nitrite kind. Pretty, though!

latoscana
latoscana March 1, 2011

Lots of salts here: http://www.atthemeadow.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_93.

Anitalectric
Anitalectric March 1, 2011

Indian grocery stores have the widest variety of salts: I have seen pink, yellow, black and gray at Kalustyan's and Patel Brothers here in NYC.

Selmelier
Selmelier March 9, 2011

We carry pink salt. But be careful to use the same type called for in your recipe. My corned beef recipe does not call for sodium NITRATE (Prague Powder #2) but sodium NITRITE (Prague Powder #1). There's a big difference. We carry both at our shops in the West Village and in Portland, plus about 100 others.