Why do my beautiful Sicilian white cookies taste unpalatable bitter?

Ac66d005 dfe6 42f3 92bf eb57e70ca8a0  7f52e173 2121 462c 804a 9475c1d1a7ba

Flavored with anise, lemon zest and vanilla. They taste good on first bite but leave a very bitter after taste.

asked by Susan 7 months ago

kim
kim

How much lemon zest does it call for? Did you get the pith in the zest? That can sometimes be bitter.

Susan

I thought if that but I tried to be careful about that. Would too much anise extract make it bitter?

Em
Em

One of your dry ingredients may have spoiled. Or, maybe you added too much baking soda/powder, which is bitter. That's a shame, they ARE beautiful....

Susan

Would cream of tartar make them bitter? It was called for as an ingredient. I’ve only ever used it when whipping egg whites.