A question about a recipe: Bûche de Noël (Yule Log)

I have a question about the recipe "Bûche de Noël (Yule Log)" from Yossy Arefi. Can the sponge layer be made ahead of time and frozen?

E250403b 8a97 4fd7 a55b bb12e496f883  buche de noel yossy arefi 17
Recipe question for: Bûche de Noël (Yule Log)

Lindsay-Jean Hard December 20, 2017

For breaking up the steps and making part ahead of time, in the comments of the recipe Picholine recommends: "Here’s a tip: make cake and fill, wrap in parchment and foil. Freeze. Then remove the day of serving, make ganache and decorate. Chill before serving in fridge."

Michelle Pham
Michelle Pham December 20, 2017

He says he doesn't use this specific recipe. I'm afraid to freeze this cake because I see that it is a fatless sponge. Those typically do not freeze well.

Lindsay-Jean Hard December 20, 2017

If you want to try freezing, I would still be more inclined to try Picholine's suggestion rather than freezing the cake alone, which I think would make it challenging to roll without cracking after the fact. For another recipe option, I haven't made this one, but I always have good luck with Stella Park's recipes in general: http://bravetart.com/recipes/EggnogYuleLog

ChefJune December 20, 2017

Not very well. It's really important to roll the sponge while it is still warm. If you freeze it and thaw later, I'm afraid you won't be able to roll it without it breaking.
I've never tried it, but I've made many a Buche, and sometimes it's hard to roll it uner the best of circumstances.

M.Dumont
M.Dumont December 28, 2017

I made that yule log for Christmas and everyone loved it. I baked the cake a week before Christmas. I took it out of the oven, turned it on a tea towel sprinkled with icing sugar, removed the parchment paper and rolled it with the help of the towel then let it cool in the towel overnight. In the morning, I prepared the mascarpone filling, unrolled the sponge and spread it on then rolled it again with the help of the towel.I kept the cake wrapped in the towel while I prepared the ganache and let it cool then,I placed it on a cardboard and spread the ganache on the roll and made it look like bark. I put it uncovered in the freezer for about 45 min to firm the icing well. I then wrapped it in Glad Cling wrap and back in the freezer overnight. In the morning,I bagged it and back in the freezer. On Dec 24TH, I removed it from the freezer, put it under a cake cloche in the refrigerator to thaw. On Christmas day, I let it come to room temperature and garnished it with meringue mushrooms, almond paste and almond slices pine cones and a sprinkling of icing sugar. It tasted very fresh and was very moist. I will probably repeat this technique next year but I may do it even earlier in December.