Does anyone have a recipe for a layer cake that can be made ahead and frozen after filling?

My 5 year old son has requested a tiered layer cake for his birthday party. His party is during a really busy time for me so I want to make as much of the cake ahead and freeze it. Does anyone have a good recipe for a non chocolate cake that can be made and filled ahead and then frozen? I can do the frosting the day before the party, so the look isn't a problem but I would love not to have to level and fill all of the layers that day as well. Anyone have suggestions?

asked by Couldn't Be Parve about 6 years ago

Nozlee Samadzadeh

Unfortunately, cake filling doesn't freeze well -- it will expand and contract and possibly damage the layers themselves. You can freeze cake layers easily, though, and then stack/fill/frost them after they've thawed.

elle1456

Hi!
The Cake Mix Doctor includes freezing instructions and advice in some of her recipes. Many public libraries have her books, and she has put a few recipes on her site:
http://www.cakemixdoctor.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3653.