Does anyone have a recipe for a layer cake that can be made ahead and frozen after filling?

My 5 year old son has requested a tiered layer cake for his birthday party. His party is during a really busy time for me so I want to make as much of the cake ahead and freeze it. Does anyone have a good recipe for a non chocolate cake that can be made and filled ahead and then frozen? I can do the frosting the day before the party, so the look isn't a problem but I would love not to have to level and fill all of the layers that day as well. Anyone have suggestions?

B374f07a 68c6 4595 a705 99ed993c08fc  coconut panna cotta small for web

elle1456 August 4, 2012
Hi!
The Cake Mix Doctor includes freezing instructions and advice in some of her recipes. Many public libraries have her books, and she has put a few recipes on her site:
http://www.cakemixdoctor.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3653.

Voted the Best Reply!

petitbleu August 1, 2012
I've had great success freezing layer cakes, actually. I don't doubt that Nozlee makes a good point, but I have frozen layer cakes made with buttercream icings, and they have been just fine. I wouldn't recommend freezing a whole cake with whipped cream-esque icings or with meringue topping, but if you're using buttercream and some fairly solid fillings (lemon curd comes to mind), I don't see why you couldn't freeze it. Just thaw it out in the refrigerator so it thaws slowly.

Nozlee S. August 1, 2012
Unfortunately, cake filling doesn't freeze well -- it will expand and contract and possibly damage the layers themselves. You can freeze cake layers easily, though, and then stack/fill/frost them after they've thawed.