🔕 🔔

defrost a cake

i made 2 layers of chocolate cake that are frozen . I want to know how to defrost it so that I can frost it for a party tomorrow

asked by fs72557 over 4 years ago

i just wanted to clarify the cake is wrapped in plastic foil and freezer bag should i leave it wrapped while defrosting or remove plastic etc. once its defrosted should i put in fridge or leave it under glass dome on counter(i made ganache frosting)

The last answer to this thread may have some relevant information:
http://food52.com/hotline...

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I'd remove the wrapper and leave it in the glass dome overnight.

I do this several times a week, and always leave the layers wrapped and thaw them at room temperature.

I agree with Cynthia. Maida Heatter, queen of desserts, has this to say about defrosting frozen cakes and cookies "Everything should be thawed completely before unwrapping. (Foods sweat while thawing. If they are thawed wrapped the moisture will form on the outside of the wrapping; if they are thawed unwrapped the moisture will form on the food itself-that could spoil the looks..)". Each of Maidas cookbooks starts with a 30 page section titled "Techniques.". This section alone is reason to purchase one of her books, with my favorite being Maida Heatter's Book of Great Chovolate Desserts. For years she baked the desserts for her husbands Miami restaurants, and as a self taught cook her common wisdom and trial and error commentary is priceless.